phone 0800 011 3200
open 7 days: 8am to 10pm
chat service

Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS)

Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS)
The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is provided by Citizens Advice Bureaux in Scotland.

PASS is an independent service, giving free, confidential information, advice and support to anyone who uses the NHS in Scotland. It aims to support patients, their carers and families in their dealings with the NHS and in other matters affecting their health.

Specialist advisers can:

  • support you if you're going to a meeting
  • help you write letters and make phone calls
  • help you access your medical and clinical records
  • help you find health services and social care
  • help you access the treatment, care and support you need

You can access this service from any Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland. Visit Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS)Citizens Advice Bureau or use the phone book to find your local office. Please contact the service if:

  • you need information, advice or support to give feedback or comments, raise concerns or make complaints about the healthcare you have received from the NHS
  • you'd like to know more about your rights and responsibilities as a patient 

Further information

Citizens Advice Bureaux provide free and confidential advice and information - whoever you are and whatever your problem. You might want to ask about:

  • benefits
  • debt and money advice
  • consumer issues
  • work-related problems
  • housing
  • relationships

Read more from NHS inform on Your Health, Your Rights.

The information was last updated on: 15th December 2015


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS